This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Members - Please Read Concerning Alt. Engines

This section of the forum was set up to discuss alternative engines for the Attack. You may know that the official donor engine is a 90-93 Accord Engine (F22 or equivalent). K1 has said ok to using an H22 (from Honda Prelude) because its an extremely common bolt-for-bolt compatable swap into a 90-93 Accord and the Attack.

For people new to the Attack, its fine to suggest engines that have a good chance of working in the Attack. However, please remember that changing the engine means possible major fabrication to frame, mounts, suspension, wiring, gauges, brakes, axles, fuel delivery, exhaust, etc. Some swaps might be easier than others and this is just a small list of possible problem areas.

When swapping engines you are not only getting away from the single-donor bolt on simplicity of this kit but you are also running the risk of voiding any warranty.

Due to the rather unusual power to weight ratio of this vehicle, the donor or the upgraded Prelude engines are very potent and can still be modified.

With all this said, if you have the talent and experience needed to complete a custom swap, this really doesn't apply to you. I bet we will see some great swaps in the future. This is just a heads-up for new enthusiasts to the Attack that may not know about its power/weight characteristics.
    Alex Lear
    attackforums.com administrator

Good one Alex. This thread was called for. It will save alot of people some headaches.

Comment

Thanks Alex... GREAT IDEA... Another bright light..

alan

Comment

FORD DURATEC ENGINE?

EURO OFFERS THE FORD DURATEC AS A NEW ENGINE ALTERNATIVE AND ALL OTHER DIST. OF THE ATTACK. MY QUESTION IS: HOW IS THE FORD ENGINE MOUNTED INTO THE ATTACK FRAME WITHOUT CUTTING? WILL THE FORD OPTION AS GOOD OR BETTER THAN THE HONDA ORIGINAL? I KNOW THE QUESTION IS A BIT STUPID BUT I WAS WONDERING...

THANKS FROM THE RAFTMAN

Comment

K-1 is revising the entire rear end of the car to accomodate the Ford powertrains. No specifics available other than what's on their site, though.

And in the future, no need for all caps - makes it obnoxious to read. Thanks . . .

Comment

WHEW! I've gotten so tired of seeing,

Q:"Waddabout using engine "X" because it has a lot of power?"
            A:"It won't work because that is a rear drive car."

I stopped responding in hopes that the thread would die. The only reasonable ones I've seen are discussions on the V6 Accord engine, the Volkswagen engines, and the Ford engines. Thanks Alex.

Comment

i heard that a duratec 3.0 with twin turbos in the right car can absolutely smoke all the riced out cars and lambos. it is supposed to 0-60 in just around 3 seconds. i think ford finally did somehting right lol
              bass players do it deeper

Comment

Just thinking... if you wouldn’t mind making a hole in the hood (the one on the back) then without to much problem you probably would be able to fit a bugatti veyron engine there it has around 1001hk
                that would be 1,17hk/kg...

Do you think it would work

Comment

Originally posted by fr34kystyl3y
                  i heard that a duratec 3.0 with twin turbos in the right car can absolutely smoke all the riced out cars and lambos. it is supposed to 0-60 in just around 3 seconds. i think ford finally did somehting right lol
                  Yeah, that's the engine of choice in the Noble. The Noble M12 can out accelerate a Ferarri Enzo. For 2007 Ford has introduced a 3.5 stroked Duratec in the LincolMKZ and the Ford Edge the that puts out a naturally aspirated 265 hp.

Delicious.

Anyway, thank you very much for this thread. It settles a lot of questions for me.

Comment

All these comparisons are a bit silly really. Sure, any turbo engine can smoke even a Veyron or Macca F1. The question is how it drives and the in-gear accelerations and most importantly the power delivery. Engines that come on boost when you least want it are a no no. Drivers of boosted F40 can explain that for anyone who loves turbo engines and goes mad about big turbos.

Comment

I can confirm that there is a version of the Attack which is fitted with a 3 litre V6 engine & has twin turbos producing over 500 BHP. The Standard K! Attack as built in the factory was fitted with 3.0 litre V6 engines as standard. There were only 30 of these factory built cars produced by K! engineering.

Comment

V6 & other motive forces for the K1....!!!!

Originally posted by robcamilleri View Post
                        I can confirm that there is a version of the Attack which is fitted with a 3 litre V6 engine & has twin turbos producing over 500 BHP. The Standard {????} K1 Attack as built in the factory was fitted with 3.0 litre V6 engines as standard. There were only 30 of these factory built cars produced by K1 engineering.
                        Not sure what "most" of the original 14-some euro cars were fitted with as an engine choice {a few Alpha & Ford V6 I've seen in pix}, but I only know of my car fitted with a V6 in the US of those 19-some that got over here initially; only 2 electric cars had been built by Jeff & John.... & only one hybrid by West Philly HS. I believe all the others are Honda 4-cylinder engines of various modification & HP. I'm sure others might have additional or more correct information, but I'm pretty sure the Honda 4 was the design basis for the car.

Comment

The west Philly one never made it to hybrid, just high mpg diesel, I think veggi oil burning maybe. Can't remember but not hybrid.
                          www.silverbulletrx7.com

Comment

There are some Audi 4,2 V8 putting like 560 HP. But the frame is modified to handle it.
                            Originally frame can take up to 450 HP.

Comment

Having had access to the K1 factory & access to the original designer. I am certain that there were 30 original attacks built by K1 engineering. All were fitted with 3 litre ford V6 engines and none were built using a donor car. Parts were sourced from other automotive manufacturers but were purchased as parts & fitted in the original production of the cars.

These were therefore limited production cars & not kit cars. There was also a race car version built using the original chassis & K1 Attack moulds but was considerably lighter as it used single skin panels. This was fitted with a modified twin turbo 3 litre V6 engine. This car weighs around 750 kg & produces 550 bhp. The car is red in colour, has a GT look to it due to the rear engine cowl & has a large air scoop on the roof to force air into a very large inter-cooler fitted in the rear between the large carbon fibre rear wing & diffuser at the rear.

Comment

Working...
                              X