Ovalkill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ovalkill

At heart, I'm a big Ford lover, so I've always toyed with the idea of a Big Blue Oval engine sitting in the back of an Attack, the only problem is I couldn't find a FWD engine powerful enough and I can't believe I overlooked the obvious:

Ford Taurus SHO

The hi-po family sedan..

In 1996 the SHO recieved a new powerplant, a 3.4L V8, yet it lost the 5-spd manual in the process.

SHO 3.4L V8 (96-99)
    235 BHP
    230 ft-lbs

SHO 3.1L V6 (89-95)
    220 BHP
    200 ft-lbs

So whatcha think? I know the H22 puts out about the same, but we all know as well that as displacement increases, so do horsepower/torque gains when modifications are done.
    So what's going in my Attack?
    "Project Blitzkrieg"
    Top Secret nowadays

In the meantime: 2003 Mazda 6S, debadged, demolded, Hurst T-handle shifter, MSD Stacker-8 Ignition, 160F t-stat, throttle body grounded and coolant bypassed, blackened headlights, Boston Acoustic ProSeries 6.5 component speakers. 1987 Pontiac Fiero GT, 77,000 original miles, hole in the V6 block to be remedied with a built 350 V8 and GM 462 double-hump heads.

i knew LT-5 just couldn't live without placing some domestic muscle in his attack... hehe
    spinning @ 18000 RPM...

Comment

The SHO V6 is actually rather large, but it might fit.

The V8 is really sweet, and recently there has been a supercharger kit released for it (POWER!). However, it was never mated to a manual transmission, and therefore might prove tricky. Also, it has a chronic problem with camshaft failures, which take the entire engine with it. This is not Yamaha's fault, rather Ford's (cheap bastards), and they have, to this point, refused to do anything about the problem. Hopefully this will change.

That is not to say that ALL SHO V8s have this problem, it's actually somewhat rare at this point, and can be fixed for about 500 bucks. Just a little FYI.

All in all, if you want to do a SHO, the V6 is a better way to go. It has a much larger aftermarket (you can even mate it to a custom quaife 6-spd tranny, or an LSD), and the power potential is off the charts. A fully built 3.2L SHO (the manual was 3.0, the auto 3.2L) engine would be more than enough for an Attack.

However, if you have a real need for speed, just build the SHO back up with 9:1 CR pistons, and either make a custom turbo kit (there is no kit as of yet), or get a centrifugal supercharger from the SHOshop. I think the highest power levels that have been reached are over 500hp to the wheels!

Oh, and Intertia, the SHO V6 was built by Yamaha, and slapped into the Taurus by Ford. The V8 is built off the Duratec block, but Yamaha did the heads.

Sorry bout the long post. LT-5, for more info, check out www.shotimes.com and www.shoforum.com

Comment

thanks for the info... Yamaha really makes nice engines, looks at Formula Arcobalenos, they use Yamaha bike engines (the YZF 1000cc, 4 stroke 4 cylinder, 5valves x cylinder) and does a 0-60mph in 4.4secs with a max of ~145mph. Correctly applied, Yamaha engines can pack some nice punch without doing you in for weight...

for more info on Formula Arcobaleno, you could try www.arcobalenocars.com but it is in italian, but one can pretty much understand...
        spinning @ 18000 RPM...

Comment

As far as the SHO engine is concerned, what is the likelyhood that one could mount a SHO V8 to the Getrag SL170 6-Speed Manual Transaxle found in the Ford Focus SVT? There would be nothing sexier in an Attack than to have a small displacement V8 with a 6-Speed. Regarding the common camshaft problem in the V8 SHO, a simple weld will correct/prevent the issue...http://www.nesho.com/camwelding.html

Comment

Hmm, good fix but welding looks bad. Maybe its just this one but the weld could be TIGed instead of MIGed (GTAW instead of GMAW). hope not all 970 welds look like that

Comment

Originally posted by diabloSE
              Hmm, good fix but welding looks bad. Maybe its just this one but the weld could be TIGed instead of MIGed (GTAW instead of GMAW). hope not all 970 welds look like that
              Point being, there is a solution, a proven and efficient solution. Now for a way to mate the engine to the 6-speed transaxle of a Ford Focus SVT and into the Attack!

Comment

I wouldn't touch any part from any ford Taurus. That my friends is the worst car ever built.
                When you hear enemy firing on your radio, you've got problems~!.

Pontiac Fiero 2M4(project)
                Chevy Camaro 3.8 V6(Daily driver/Weekendwarrior for now)

Comment

Originally posted by Pantera
                  I wouldn't touch any part from any ford Taurus. That my friends is the worst car ever built.
                  Yet it came back by popular demand after a one-year hiatus and the public being told it was dead and replaced. Come on, even Conan O'Brien will tell you the SHO is the best car ever built.
                  So what's going in my Attack?
                  "Project Blitzkrieg"
                  Top Secret nowadays

In the meantime: 2003 Mazda 6S, debadged, demolded, Hurst T-handle shifter, MSD Stacker-8 Ignition, 160F t-stat, throttle body grounded and coolant bypassed, blackened headlights, Boston Acoustic ProSeries 6.5 component speakers. 1987 Pontiac Fiero GT, 77,000 original miles, hole in the V6 block to be remedied with a built 350 V8 and GM 462 double-hump heads.

Comment

Working...
                  X